Temperature-controlled radiofrequency tonsil ablation for the treatment of halitosis


Tanyeri H. M. , Polat S.

EUROPEAN ARCHIVES OF OTO-RHINO-LARYNGOLOGY, vol.268, no.2, pp.267-272, 2011 (Journal Indexed in SCI) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 268 Issue: 2
  • Publication Date: 2011
  • Doi Number: 10.1007/s00405-010-1356-2
  • Title of Journal : EUROPEAN ARCHIVES OF OTO-RHINO-LARYNGOLOGY
  • Page Numbers: pp.267-272

Abstract

The objective of the study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of temperature-controlled radiofrequency (RF) tonsil ablation in the treatment of halitosis caused by chronic tonsillitis with caseum. The study method was retrospective. The medical records of 58 patients undergoing temperature-controlled RF tonsil ablation due to chronic tonsillitis with caseum between November 1, 2005 and November 30, 2008 were reviewed. Forty-nine (84.4%) of 58 patients reported complete disappearance of bad breath after the first treatment; five patients (8.6%) reported as having insufficient improvement and four (6.9%) patients had no change. Two patients from "insufficient group" and all four patients from "no change" group agreed to a repeat treatment. After the second session, four (6.9%) patients reported complete disappearance of halitosis with the disappearance of caseum formation. But two patients still suffered from halitosis. One of these patients underwent tonsillectomy, other patient is under our follow-up. Overall, complete elimination of halitosis was accomplished with one session in 49 (84.4%) patients, two sessions in four (6.9%) patients, making a total of 53 (91.3%) patients. Postoperative morbidities included one transient mild bleeding, one secondary bleeding and one mild edema. Temperature-controlled RF tonsil ablation is an effective method for treating halitosis which derived from chronic tonsillitis with caseum. This well-tolerated technique avoids the post-procedure morbidities and discomfort of more invasive surgical modalities currently used.